Re: Do you throw it away????

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Do you throw it away????
From: George Curley <glcurley@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 15:39:20 -0400
I save everything, if it was an original part. Often that means keeping
junk.  There are several reasons why I keep old parts, including
reference for finding suitable replacements, authenticity comparison,
and possible rebuilding of the part.  Even if I find a suitable
replacement now, the next time around the process might start over,
looking to replace the replacement part.  In that case, it's better to
start with the original for a baseline comparison.  I even kept the
original worn-out shocks to compare lengths (compressed and extended)
with replacement candidates.  I specifically kept the original EGR
valve.  I also keep original hoses and belts.  (For example, the fitting
on the '74 power steering pressure hose is difficult to match.)  Some
original parts could be rebuilt or have their internal components
completely replaced and still use the original housings so that
externally they look identical to stock, e.g. alternator, starter, ac
compressor, EGR valve. The original parts are useful as an authenticity
check preparing the car for show, and could be used as a model to copy
parts for which identical replacements aren't available.

George Curley #220, 670