Re: Polyurethane body panels?

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Polyurethane body panels?
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 07:48:11 -0500
At 10:25 PM 1/21/2006 -0600, Greg Schroeder wrote:

>With all the issues with acrylic and fiberglass has anyone attempted to use
>polyurethane to recreate body panels?  The reason I ask this is that I have
>just recently seen a lot of activity using polyurethane kits in the tuner car
>upgrades on TV.  Seems like it would be a good idea for like door panels
since
>it would allow the flexing required.

Greg,

Terry Tanner makes and sells all the body panels in fiberglass.  They are
stronger than the orignal panels.

I've seen a lot of the add on ground effects on the rice burners.  They do
look nice.  I wonder how much more expensive, difficult, etc. it would be
to do the panels in polyurethane.

>I am spending the weekend redoing my rear bumper and doing some rust
>prevention behind it.  If you working on your car send some emails.  This
>group has slowed down recently.  I really need to see some emails to keep me
>motivated.

Well, you're doing more than I am.  Haven't really touched the Brick in a
while.  Been working on the Morgan.  Trying to get the engine running again.
Spent a couple of hours yesterday working on the float bowl.  The port for
the intake on the accelerator pump was pluged.  Finally got that opened
up.  Got the head back from the machine shop and painted it.  So maybe
today, we'll get the head back on, and try to get it running.

Now for Bricklin content.  How I spend my Xmas vacation.  As most of you
know, I've been working on the Morgan since Xmas.  If you put your car
away for any length of time, I really suggest that you try and drain
the gas out of the system, gas tank, fuel lines, and carb. before you
let her sit.  Also pull the plugs and put a couple of ounces of Marvels
Mystery oil or regular motor oil in the cylinders and turn the engine
over by hand to wet the cylinder walls and keep the rings from sticking
to the cyl. walls.  Then every couple of months pull the plugs and
repeat.

Also while the plugs are out, and before you put oii in the cyls. I suggest
that you spin the engine up on the battery and starter until you get oil
pressue.  That way you will coat the various bearings and journals also.

Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                       65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org