Re: Door Skin Removal

To: jblair1948@cox.net, bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Door Skin Removal
From: KINGALIONZ11370@aol.com
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 19:35:36 EST
if you want we have a fully detailed write up on how and what to do for a
door restoration.  The process has 31 steps to it.  If any of these steps are
left out your door will not be fit correctly.  I can put this write up into a
pdf
format if necessary.  It is currently in a Microsoft works format.  This
write up was written by Terry Tanner who has trained several people how to do
this
job including myself.  The procedure has been used on every car that has come
into our shop.  We are more than willing to share it with anyone who wants to
attempt the job.

Addressing the doorskin removal.  1st you do not need a hammer and 2nd you
dont use a putty knife.  A small solid handle gasket scraper and heat source
are
the only items you need to remove the door skin.   You dont use a tapping to
move the scraper, gentle lifting pressure works better.. 3rd let the heat do
the work for you.. with the gentle lifting pressure, when the glue gets to the
temperature needed to release it from the metal it lets go.. no over heating
of the acrylic is caused using this method.   Also keep the heat gun moving..
any time you stop in 1 place you do run the risk of getting too hot and
melting the acrylic.  4th Always attempt to remove the acrylic panel as if you
were
going to use it again that way you have a choice as to whether you will or not
when you are ready for it.

now the 5th if you run into anything you think is a problem help is always a
phone call away,  Terry or myself will be happy to answer any questions you
have on working on your doors from a perspective of having done many of them..
Terry has been working on the doors from the very beginning and has been beat
up by more than anyone would care to count.  As John Blair said in his article
in the most recent Brickline.. it is an art to it.. no matter how well written
the instructions are or how many pictures you take of the process, it will
still take seeing them done several times and then doing several yourself
before
you really know the procedure.  Again like i said.. we are here to help in
anyway we can, and can be called on for that help any time.

John Lodge

PS if you want a copy of the door restoration proceedure please feel free to
either email me (kingalionz11370@aol.com) or Terry (TTanner620@aol.com) and we
will be happy to sent them to you either by regular mail print outs or by
email file in the format that you wish.