Re: Some newbie questions for ya's!

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Some newbie questions for ya's!
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 07:43:06 -0500
At 04:35 PM 3/8/02 -0500, fierodoug@comcast.net wrote:
>Ok, as I continue to work on my 75 #1752, I need some help!! Thanx to all
on the list in advance!

Doug,

>1)Which way are the gas-assist door stuts supposed to be mounted(Strut body
>up  or down??)

According to Terry Tanner's drawings, the assist struts go with the strub body
attached to the door, and the moving part attached to the birdcage.

>2)I put in a new outside door keylock(from terry tanner) and the doors still
>open in either lock position?? (BTW: the old lock was jammed so I don't know
>if it ever worked)

You need to check to see:
1. Do you have power coming to that switch (one of the 2 leads should be hot
all the time.
2. When you turn the switch, does the other lead get power, the turn the
switch
the other way and power goes away?

3. Do the doors open, when you use the switches inside the car?
4. You will need to check the operation of the up/down switches with an ohm
meter.  It's quite possible that the outside up/down switches are bad.

5. When you press the switches, do you hear a click in the door, and in the
well behind the drivers seat.

You may have a problem is in the wiring.

>3)What is the air pressure regulator suppossed to do. Wherever I put it the
>compressor shuts off at 100psi and the doors open and close kinda slow

It controls the up time to open the doors.

The compressor has its own pressure cut off switch.  However, it sounds like
the compressor you are using is a little small.  I believe the system is
supposed to work between 125 and 150psi.  (However, I haven't put a guage
on my system.

>4)My right side headlight goes up, then down when I fire the car up??

This is a common problem.  If the head lights work normally other than
than that, don't worry about it.  If you really want to try and fix it,
you may need to rebuild your actuators, replace a relay, or the vac. resivor.

>5)No reading from speedo, but Odometer and trip odometer work fine. I assume
> I need a new speedo head unit?

More than likely the speedo needs to be replaced.

>6)Someone put a Flex fan on my car and I want to go back to stock. I have the
>correct fan and a new clutch, but seem to be missing a spacer between the
>waterpump and clutch? If so, where can and get one. Anyone know what size
>studs screw into the water pump?

>From my nuts and bolts list on the BI web page, I think what you want is

5/16" - 18 x 5/8" hex head bolt
      4 - fan to fan clutch

>7)to change the fuel sender, must the tank be removed(No reading on gauge)

I've heard it can be done with out dropping it, but I don't know how.  You
will have to lower it quite a bit.  So you may as well take it out.  I know
that's what I've done on the 2 cars I've done it to.

>Sorry About all the questions but my car is in kinda Sad shape and I can't
>wait to get everything working! Thanx ALL!!

No problem, that's what we're here for.

Editor/Publisher The Brickline
Quarterly Magazine of Bricklin International

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire   71 Saab Sonett III
        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org