RE: Bricklin on fire

To: "'George Malaska'" <gmalaska@hotmail.com>, serge.ber@sympatico.ca
Subject: RE: Bricklin on fire
From: "Early, Stephen" <Stephen.Early@mbna.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 08:20:23 -0500
A third cause of fires on the '74 s is the flapper between the
exhaust manifold and exhaust pipe on the passenger side.
The valve is supposed to divert exhaust gasses during warm up
to help with reducing emissions.  After warm up, it opens and
the gasses flow through the pipe to the muffler.

Apparently, it was installed upside down at the factory and
would never open.  So much heat was generated that things
caught fire.  By now, I'd imagine most are either
reinstalled correctly or removed but it's still worth checking.
On my car, #430, it's still upside down but someone used heavy
wire, like a coat hanger, to hold it in the open position.
That fix is okay unless the wire breaks.  I check it periodically.

Stephen I. Early
Portfolio Conversions
MBNA America
302.457.4788