FW: Tight Engine

To: "'bricklin'" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: Tight Engine
From: "Early, Stephen" <Stephen.Early@mbna.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 08:13:38 -0500
My $.02,

I'd start by removing all the spark plugs and then doing a compression test
on every cylinder.  While you're doing this test, you can observe how fast
the engine turns over without the spark plugs and observe if the oil
pressure comes up while cranking.  In my experience, recently rebuilt
engines that exhibit this symptom either have too much compression, weren't
assembled with enough lubricant on all the bearings, and/or the tolerances
are too tight.  If you don't have good oil pressure during cranking (without
the spark plugs), don't run the engine until you determine the cause.

Moreover, you may have more than one factor working against you.  For
example, timing too far advanced can cause what you're describing.  Perhaps
the rebuilder didn't put the distributor back in the right place.  A new
engine might be tight, and that can be okay, but combine that with
over-advanced timing, insufficient lubrication, etc. and the thing won't
run.

Stephen I. Early
Portfolio Conversions
Hallmark Information Services