Re: # 2568 is cursed

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: # 2568 is cursed
From: jblair@exis.net
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 07:37:28 -0400
>   Ok. we started off with an engine rebuild, that became a transmission
>problem after the engine was done.  After the trans was back in I had to
>adjust the ignition switch(not too bad but it put me out of a car for a day)

>then the lock rack peice on the steering collum breaks and takes 4 days to

>arrive.  Put it on get it going a few days.  Brake Booster goes out, 6 days

>to get that here.  get it on. everything was finally ok. Tonight, no fuel

>getting to the engine.  I've about had it......

Ryan,

   I think they call what you are doing a "rolling restoration". :)

Please keep us informed.

I've only had 2 major experiences with fuel injection:

My latest was on my voyager mini van. I had a problem similar
to what you are describing.  I thought the problem was the pump
so I replaced it.  That helped, but didn't fix the problem.
What it turned out to be, was the checkvalve in the pump assembly
(not included with a pump - but was included in the "pump
assembly").  So when the engine was turned off, the fuel could
 leak back out of the lines into the tank.  Now when you tried to
start the eng., the pump had to fill the lines and bring the
pressure up.  Only problem, was the computer would only let the
pump run for 2 sec. without having the eng. turn over.  When you
tried to start the eng. the pump hadn't built up enough pressure
and the injectors would fire, bleeding off the pressure faster
than the pump could build it up.

Try turning on the pump for many many seconds.  You may have
to juryrig the power to the pump for this test.  Then try to start
the car.  If it starts right up, then you have a problem similar
to what I had.

The other was on an old Opel.  I got into the the game late on this
problem.  My friend had taken the car to a shop for starting
problems.  After replacing a lot of parts the car still didn't
start right.  When my friend told me what all had been done,
the only part that hadn't been replaced was the regulator.
I replace it, and all was well.

Hope this help Ryan.

John

///