Re: Pics of worlds ugliest Bricklin: part duex

To: <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Pics of worlds ugliest Bricklin: part duex
From: "alphachi" <alphachi@writeme.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 05:42:40 -0500
> Man, I don't understand why all the neg. press on this car.  It looks like
> it is in better shape than 887 was when I bought her.  At least all the
> parts are there. :)
>
> John

Actually, it looks like the only parts that are there are pretty trashed.
But my major concern would be the integrity of the frame.  You might see
external rust, but what about INSIDE.  These in-the-weeds cars scare the
hell out of me.   Back when I was shopping for a B, I took a "restored" B
for a drive.  Pretty car, and done by a professional.  The frame must have
lost all integrity.  It was the scariest around the block ride I ever took.
Of course you could fabricate and install all new crossmembers, floor pans,
motor mounts, tranny mounts, a/c, yada yada, and just about every piece of
steel and sheetmetal in this car, and don't forget a complete re-body,
probably fiberglass, a motor (it runs, whoopee!) and all the  mechanicals,
but then is it still a B?  That is highly debatable.   More like a kit car.
And at what cost $$$? I could see if the car was worth $200k restored, but
for one worth maybe $20k TOPS?   I think these cars are severely undervalued
but thems the breaks.   Just shoot me.   That is unless you have a
bottomless storage bin of parts and are willing to give up the rest of your
retirement hours chasing the holy grail.  A good car for those impossible to
find parts that taken separately, are worth restoring an installing on a car
with some potential.  I think this is a fine example of a B fallen victim to
both factors--the worst choices AND criminal neglect.   To me, this is a
deadly duo.  I'd rather start with a stripped but solid bare frame.  Oh
well, just MVHO.  In the eyes of the beholder.

stephan #2821

///
///