Engine stuff (slight delay in post)

To: <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine stuff (slight delay in post)
From: "alphachi" <alphachi@writeme.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 00:19:30 -0400
Let me share with you what I've learned modifying my B.  I am far from a
auto mechanic and my knowledge is spotty at best.  First, yes, a 460 will
fit with extensive mods.  However, the stock 360 and 351W offer some perhaps
more sensible alternatives.  Out of these, the 351W is the easiest to mod
and a popular choice among Mustang owners.  The 351C has some problems that
while out of the box breathes much better, lubrication is one problem among
others.   The 351W is very stable even to high rpms, but its heads are
designed for a 289-302, so it gets choked easily.

You can stroke a 351W past 400, but most do not recommend this for daily
drivers, as its far more unstable.  However, with the rightl crank, over .30
bore, you'll get an easy and very stable 383 cubes. A 393 stroker crank fits
the W but not the C.  Add good heads and intake, a good carb, and some
headers and other odds and ends, and you can push +400hp-500hp from a
normally aspirated motor, the lesser maintaining very good driveability and
low end torque.  This without any
mods to the frame, or expensive rare blocks or parts.  The 351W is in no
short supply, as are Hi perf parts for it EXCEPT for blowers and SCs, as
I've only found them available for the newer 302, but Holley says they're
are thinking about making one.

Bottom line, your options are ONLY limited by your wallet.  You can get a
custom intake made to fill the inch gap caused by the 351W wider deck then
use a blower made for a 302, it MAY even fit under the hood.   You can twin
Turbo a 351W with upside down shorties, and so on.  Whatever makes you
happy.  Hell, there's even nitrous for those not faint of heart or short on
shop rags.  But for most sane folk, 400-500hp is good enough, and a 351W
remains a great motor presenting more options and versatility than many
other contenders.     Well, that about exhausts my limited knowledge on
motors for the B.  I'm all ears for what others have to share.
stephan #2821