BIG XXV Caravan Chat scheduled

Subject: BIG XXV Caravan Chat scheduled
From: "Michael V. Mitchell" <Bricklin1155@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 04:41:34 -0400
I've received a number of positive responses to my 'Caravan' e-mail. (Thanks
to all!) Some of those responses came from others not necessarily passing
'my way'. I can see that there is a need to do some coordinating, which is
rapidly becoming cumbersome via e-mail. Negotiating departure plans via
e-mail amongst multiple people just is not working. I propose that we 'chat'
about it this Sunday - and not just those passing through Ohio, but all that
will be attending BIG XXV and regardless of the arrival date or time.

As many of you may know, we have a 'Club' on Yahoo -
http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/bricklinclub. One of the features of that
'Club' is a browser-based 'Chat' function. For those of you that unfamiliar
with 'chat rooms', the idea is similar to this mailing list - you send a
message and all receive it - but in a chat room, this is happening
'real-time. Similar to a CB radio, if you will. I propose that any and all
that are interested in caravanning to the meet (regardless of day / time /
direction) meet this Sunday 7/9 @ 8:00 pm (EDT). I believe that we will get
a number of these caravans going. I also believe that with only slight
modifications to departure times, we can get sizable groups of cars
together.

For those who attend the chat, please have an idea of your route, departure
and arrival times. You may wish to use Yahoo maps ( http://maps.yahoo.com/ )
or Expedia ( http://maps.expedia.com ) to plan a route if you do not have
paper maps available. I believe both of these map programs will give you an
idea of time and distance to each of the waypoints. You should print out the
maps and mark them with the estimated time of arrival at the main waypoints
as well as the cumulative time it takes you to get there from your point of
departure. This will allow you to quickly recalculate your departure time to
catch one of the caravans. If you are familiar with an area on the route and
can recommend locations to meet or watch for caravans, please be prepared
with that information. (i.e.: rest stops / restaurants on the Turnpike /
entrance ramps). I would also suggest that if you are already traveling with
others that you select a 'spokesman' to speak for the group prior to the
chat - but still have the others attend if at all possible to approve any
adjustments to arrival / departure times.

I hope to get a pretty good turnout for this ... join us even if you aren't
going - this should be interesting!

Michael
VIN 1155
http://home.earthlink.net/~bricklin1155