Re: COOLING SYSTEM

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: COOLING SYSTEM
From: Lbc302@aol.com
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 22:57:01 EDT
In a message dated 8/18/99 8:37:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
bricklingeorge@email.msn.com writes:

<< Gregg was right, you should have a thermostat in the engine. It can not
 cool properly if the coolant is not slowed down enough to have the heat
 dissipated in the radiator. Also, 210 degrees is not pushing it. I worry
 when it gets to 220 and above. If you have the proper mix of coolant/water
 and a good pressure in the system, the boiling point is actually closer to
 250. >>

The only time you need a thermostat in a Bricklin is in the Winter,in the
summer at 80 degrees,it is better not to have a thermostat in your
vehicle,and it does not matter on startup since your oil does not need to
warm up when the underhood temp is 80+
degrees,I run my Bricklins Without thermostats and I never overheat,since I
drive my Bricklins only in the summer,if I were to drive my Bricklins
(NEVER)in the winter,then YES run a thermostat,remember the Bricklin is not
emission dependent
heck,it does not even have a catalytic converter,also remember after the car
warms up
the thermostat is wide open,also the chance in my case to have a stuck
thermostat is over 50%,since I only drive vin 1024 about 20 days every 3 or 4
years.I have had
vin 1024 since 1980,and it still purrs as if new,(see pic of 1024 on bric
members page)same with vin1136.That is my preference each to his own ways.

Claude
vin 1024/1136