Re: brake backing plate...

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: brake backing plate...
From: tbenvie@bu.edu (Thomas M. Benvie)
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 07:10:46 +0100
>hi all, i had an unforntunate accident where my wheel came off the car and
>ground to a halt. well anyway i need a new brake backing plate for the
>drivers side. does anyone have a line on one? to pull to old off, do i need
>to pull the axle shaft or just remove the nut on the end of the axle? any
>help would be appreciated. tia -jay

DON"T pull the nut off.  Remove the four bolts that hold it onto the axle,
then remove the emergency brake cable (slide a 1/2 box wrench over the
prongs and it will come right out).  Disconnect the brake line at the wheel
cylinder.  Put the drum on the nuts backwards and screw the lugnuts on flat
side first about 3-4 turns.  Use the drum as a slide hammer and pull the
drum against the lugnuts.  The axle will pop out.  To remove the backing
plate you have to chisel off the bearing retainer ring (not hard to do) and
the backing plate comes right off.  The backing plate is the same for any
67 to 79 AMC 8 cyl car and should be common.  Or go to
www.planethoustonamx.com and look for the Vendors list-these are all AMC
vendors and should be able to help.  The nut is torqued and set in place at
the factroy, and really shouldn't be touched.

On another note, I will be parting out a 75 Gremlin in the next week or so.
I don't need the gas tank, and this one is an 8 cyl car so should be the
same as the Bricklin.  It's free to whomever wants it, but I can't ship it,
you'll have to come here. (South of Boston).

Thomas M. Benvie
5 Sachem Rock Ave.
East Bridgewater, MA 02333
(508) 378-1423