Re: Bricklin weight (roll cage)

To: "Phil Martin" <pmartin@isgtec.com>, <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bricklin weight (roll cage)
From: "George Schiro" <gschiro@lni.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 12:35:17 -0400
I have been thinking about adding some bracing to the birdcage as well.
The two steps I have been considering are 1) tying the rear of the birdcage
to the frame with two braces that would follow the line of the hatch and
thus be relatively unobtrusive. 2) Using metal or very hard urethane
washers when rebolting the birdcage to the chassis.  The latter would
reduce the flex of the body, but might also introduce too much stress into
the birdcage.  Anyone know why Bricklin put rubber washers in there in the
first place?   I also plan to add shock tower bracing.  I haven't thought
about any other interior bracing because of the space constraints.

The doors will get major bracing, however, because I plan to add moon-roofs
to each door.  The space available is about 18" by 8".  This is large
enough to accommodate a removable sun-roof panel.  Obviously, I belong to
the group that isn't concerned with keeping the car in original condition,
but wishes to explore its potential.