Re: Leaf Springs

To: "Greg Monfort" <wingracer@email.msn.com>,
Subject: Re: Leaf Springs
From: "George J. Malaska" <bricklingeorge@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 21:48:20 -0400
  The torque links were meant to act as a traction bar type device to
prevent spring windup and subsequent wheel hop on hard, rapid acceleration.
This they did to some degree. The reason it is recommended to take them off
is that they stiffen the spring and do not allow it to work properly in
harder turns. So the question is, where do you want your car to handle
better, on the staights or in the turns? I myself do not push mine that hard
in either so I chose to remove them.
  In regards to the rear end sagging, only springs will cause a sag. Shocks
do not (unless they are air shocks) affect ride height.
  George,VIN#768.