Fw: Autocross

To: "Bricklin" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Autocross
From: "Greg Monfort" <wingracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 09:51:05 -0400

>I was curious if anyone has any experience with Porsche 914's.
=======
I had a '70 914-6 and a '75 2.0.
=======
  I went to my
>first race on Saturday,  it was with a Porsche racing club, and I
was
>floored.  I feel a little guilty because I kept my car passions
from the
>group.  With a Bricklin and a 65 mustang, an autocross race-track
is
no place
>for my cars.
=======
Yep.
=======
>Aside from the entire redesign project that someone on the list is
>undertaking,  are Bricklins destined to handle sub-par?
=======
Sub par to what? They were pretty good when new. Admittedly that's
not saying much compared to today's cars.
=======
And does anyone have
>experience with the 914's and who all races on this list?
=======
I have some. I only race slotcars now.
=======
  I am about ready
>to sell my soul to get behind the wheel at the next autocross.
>
>I remember some discussion regarding the tork link on the rear
suspension.
>Is this question applicable for '74's and what was the recommended
course of
>action?
=======
If you have them, take'm off.
=======
  Are there sway bars available?
=======
The one on the front is big enough for the street, but you need a
rear one. Try to find a universal fitting one if they're still
available.
=======
  Strut braces?
=======
The Bricklin shops have them. They may have rear swaybars too.
=======

>About $1800 and two weeks away from owning a 74 914
=======
That's pretty cheap. Check it carefully. Rust is a big problem. They
had no rustproofing and lots of places for water to collect. A good
one is worth ~$6k down here in Hotlanta.
=======
>Apparently the engine is from a volkswagen?  Arrghh!  I had
promised myself
>I would never own a volkswagen, would I be breaking my own trust?
=======
Yep. They were made by VW and use the 1500 pancake engine. You could
try for a 914-6 with a 911 mill for major $$$. It's interesting that
when I owned mine the PCA wouldn't allow 914-4 owners to be members.
Later on when membership dropped off they were welcomed with open
arms, well open palms anyway. :^))

GM