Re: Please, I need to find a glue -- and some other q's

To: jblair@exis.net
Subject: Re: Please, I need to find a glue -- and some other q's
From: "K M" <symbiotic@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 16:15:29 PDT
>Kim, why would you want the glue to be removable? I must admit that
>I like you like to be able to take things apart.  However,
theoretically
>when you put the skins on the door or the quarter panel on the car,
>you want it to stay there, forever!
>
>Have you ever tried to remove the skins for a regular car door?
>Basically you don't.  If you do, you have to replace them.  Same goes
>for quarter panels.

Because when the skin is damaged (as the skin is on my pass door), I
need to remove it.  A metal skin on a traditional car is usually just
hammered out and bondo'd.  So, when I say removable, I don't and didn't
mean that it would be easy, just that it would be possible.

>>...I do know that Tanner suggests the hyper-expensive German stuff,
>>but is there a more reasonable American substitute?
>
>Before I start, let me say; Kim, I'm not trying to flame you or
>anything so don't take this the wrong way.  While I applaud you
>attempts at finding a cheaper/better product, lets stop and look
>at this for a minute.

Not my point at all.  I need a locally available substitute.  While I
certainly don't mind calling and speaking with Tanner, I want to fix my
doors this weekend -- so I need to get the glue before next week.  I
already spent money on his glue for the window fix that he had -- I was
not impressed at all with the glue as to fixing windows (in fact, it
just didn't work!).  In my experience, adhesives are products that
continually undergo improvement -- and, if a good product is available,
I will buy it. I am not suggesting that any of us go out and try a range
of products to find one that works, but with the varied experiences of
the group, some may have stumbled or knowingly found a good product.  I
have had several responses already that worked for owners so I guess
I'll just go from there.  I also have some German Tanner stuff left
over, amybe enough to stick part of the door.  Now, can't we all just
get along? (that's a joke, buford!) Kim