Re: [Bmcu] Shop for fitting an MGB soft top

To: andrew@drooartz.com, bmcu-bounces@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: [Bmcu] Shop for fitting an MGB soft top
From: dowshirey5499@msn.com
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 03:42:14 +0000
Andrew,

It's not too terribly hard to fit it yourself. My father and put a new top on
my 79 Midget in the better part of an afternoon. The only hard part I remember
was drilling out the pop rivets in the header rail.

Start at the back of the car and work your way forward. When you fit the front
over the header rail, make sure the frame is extended. We made our mistake by
tightening the bolts behind the seats too far. When we fastened the front, it
was too high and we couldn't get the top up.

Do it on a warm day, leave the new top out in the sun on the driveway for a
bit.  It will be more pliable that way. If you still have an old beat up top on
it, use that as a template to put the holes for the lift-the-dot snaps.

Best of luck!

Dow
'74 Midget
'79 Midget