RE: Rotary Noise

To: <Sethracer@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Rotary Noise
From: <charlescox@coastalbay.com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 18:01:32 -0700
Indeed, that was one of the reasons...I was there, ran one, went through it.

I can also remember when getting the BMW 320i after (this was IMSA radial
tire challenge series), that even though the Mazda was far louder outside
the car, inside the RX4 was much quieter than the BMW from a driver's
standpoint.  Mine had something like a 6" megaphone out the back, that's
where the noise went and the headers and exhaust pipes had to be thicker
wall to put up with the heat...that made it more comfortable in the car but
painful outside.  Even then, some had a portable muffler they'd put in the
megaphone around the pits.

At that point, I had already obtained my regional SCCA license, FIA license
and IMSA.  Still miss the rotary though.  13b had great torque up the hill
at Laguna...had to run stock carb and brakes though...neither worked...

Chas