Rotary Noise

To: charlescox@coastalbay.com
Subject: Rotary Noise
From: Sethracer@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 18:41:05 EDT
In a message dated 5/30/2006 9:42:15 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
charlescox@coastalbay.com writes:

I can  still remember back when running my RX-4 road-racing with a megaphone
out  the back...was the loudest most obnoxious noise you could imagine.   They
instituted the mufflers for rotaries the following year...made the  cars
quieter but the rule was intended to make them slower...didn't  work.

Chas

I disagree on the purpose being to slow them down. I went through SCCA
drivers school at  Sears Point. Izzy Sanchez in an RX-2 was gridded to my
immediate left for the "practice races". This was well before the Mazda Muffler
 was
required. The RX-2 had a straight pipe exhaust coming out under the  passenger
side door. As we came around turn 11 and brought the power up - The  noise
coming into my left ear from about 6 feet away was not just defining,  but
painful, ear plugs or not. I backed off the throttle and dropped back 25  feet
regain any composure I might have had. I remember sitting in the pits.  You
could hear every shift from the rotaries rounding turn seven at the back of
the
course. Something had to be done about the cacophony coming out of those  cars.
 It was and, indeed, didn't seem to slow them down at all.  - Seth Emerson