Let's get more serious?

To: "autox" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Let's get more serious?
From: "PAUL TIBBALS" <pault151@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 00:44:07 -0700
Katie replied to Navid,

    > From: Katie Kelly <aceontour@yahoo.com>
    > Subject: RE: SFR attendance dropping faster than it would appear at
first  glance

    > You're making it sound like this is a morality issue.
    >
    > - -Katie K.
    >

        > - --- Navid Kahangi <navid@xperformance.com> wrote:
        > > IMHO, other clubs cater to more serious autoxers
        > > where as SFR caters more to
        > > more casual (for lack of a better term) autoxers.

He's making it sound that way because maybe to him it IS a morality issue?
Could you admire how he managed to keep from spitting when he typed 'casual
(for lack of a better term)'?  <grin>

SFR has the glorious problem of dealing with an almost embarassing array of
opportunities, due in no small part to the hard work of members.  (I give
thanks!)  But it still ends up with the puzzle of how to serve the two obvious
factions.  Let's call them:
Shinies - Those who are into their cars and the competition enough to arrive
and drive at one to several events per season.
Shiftites - Those who are way, way devoted to the competition, and to their
cars unless they get another that can move them further toward the heavenly
heights of competition.  They go to all _except_ one to several events per
season, including Tour and Nationals.  Or maybe they make 100%.

If I can prevail on Richard the uberstatistician to provide an analysis, I'll
ask for his take on this question: What is the percentage of Solo II dues and
event receipts delivered by those who attending under the Shinies philosophy,
versus those attending as Shiftites?  Not sure where to divide the
philosophies.  One could do so on the extremely pragmatic point of "anyone not
attending enough events to equal the maximum number of points events (total
minus drops) isn't serious about a trophy".  Many are devoted enough to attend
over a third even without serious trophy contention, which might be considered
an even truer dedication!

As I'm just a statistical rube, I'll stick to STX in 2005 Championship Series:
15/39 participants ran only 1 event.
The average of a little over 4 is not really meaningful:
12 ran from 3 to 6 events, only 7 ran 11 or more, equalling
"committed/serious".
Almost exactly half of the total of event fees paid ($4950 not counting comps)
were by those 7, however as far as dues go we require membership for all
except guests so the story is far in favor of those who run fewer events.

A reasonably great man once said,  "Have you ever noticed that anyone driving
faster than you is a maniac, and anyone driving slower than you is a moron?"
This might well apply to "attends more autocross events".

Do we have a measure for how many are members for only a year?  And why?

         Paul T.  (re: statistics - There are two kinds of people, those who
divide people up into two kinds, and those who don't)