Re: ST2? STS2?

To: Ms Katie Kelly <katiekelly@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: ST2? STS2?
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 11:04:43 -0700
Hi Katie, I believe that 7.5" is the maximum wheel width, and 225 is
the maximum tire width for either class (STS2 or ST2).

It looks like STS2, with the backing of the SCCA national
organization, is the more likely to take off.  ST2 is a grassroots
effort that looks like it will remain a strictly regional class.

A '96 Miata R would be legal in STS2 if you replaced the Torsen
limited slip differential with the open differential.

It would be legal in ST2 with no changes.

It looks like there were 5 entries in STS2 at the Solo2 Championships
this year, in a class that was announced by surprise after the start
of the season.  Besides those competitors, I know that Jon Roberts
also campaigned a Miata in STS2 in the ProSolo series this year.  I
think that STS2 is going to take off in the National series next year.

In our region, most of the competitors in ST2 are not eligible for
STS2.  I've seen a MkII MR2, a Datsun Z-car, and a Torsen-equipped
Miata or two.  The only car I know of in the region that's also legal
for STS2 is Dennis Armstrong's Modacar Miata.

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson
http://www.idsfa.net/~john/                              HMC Physics '94