Classing responsibility (was RE: The School and Round 5)

To: Bryan Nemy <bnemy@pacbell.net>,
Subject: Classing responsibility (was RE: The School and Round 5)
From: "Thana, Peter {HTS~Palo Alto}" <peter.thana@ROCHE.COM>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 12:46:57 -0700
One other note from this weekend- Durk mentioned at the drivers meeting
on Saturday that competitors are responsible for classing their own
cars, not the registration table.  Still, we had a couple cases where
people were arguing over car classification based on what they were told
at the reg table.  I like to think there are far more miscommunications
than disagreements in SFR.  So to make this easier for everyone, I
recommend everyone follow 2 simple guidelines.

1)  Competitors look up your car in the rulebook.  If you don't have one
get one, and if you can't do that at least check Jerry's car
classification link on the SFR website.  It's not official but it's kept
fairly up to date.  Beyond that you can keep up with the latest rule
changes by reading the FasTrack items in SportsCar or on the SCCA web
page at:

http://scca.org/news/tech/index.html

By all means, if you see something relevant to your car or your class,
print it out and stick it in your rule book so you can show anyone who
disagrees with you.

2)  People who work at the reg table, please give a disclaimer when you
give classing advice.  Unless you are 100% sure you are correct, tell
the competitor that *they* are responsible for classing their car
correctly and what you say does not have final authority over the rule
book.  Maybe help them find someone that does have a rulebook.

I felt pretty bad for one situation on Sunday where a competitor said
reg told him he was FSP but his competitors later showed the rulebook
saying DSP.  By that time it was too late for him to run in the proper
class, but his competitors had a point too.

And here's another little pet peeve of mine.  If your car is illegal in
any way for your class and you know it, tell your competitors and don't
run for points, especially if they have a problem with it.  I don't
understand why we, as civilized people and car enthusiasts, should ever
have to resort to protest over an item that's not even debatable.
Basically if you've got an illegal mod and your competitors aren't okay
with it but you insist on still running for points, that's *lame*.  I
think we can go a great way toward minimizing these kinds of issues with
nothing more than common sense and respect for one another.

Thanks,
Peter