RE: Recovering From Riced Out Honda, Stock Air Intake Needed

To: "'Todd Stiers'" <tas@darthracing.com>,
Subject: RE: Recovering From Riced Out Honda, Stock Air Intake Needed
From: Greg Umbay <greg_umbay@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 14:24:45 -0700 (PDT)
 I my most recent experience, I found that some smog and tune shops do not know
how or want to deal with modified cars.  In my case I made sure that every
performance part that I installed on my car had CARB-EO numbers.  All I did was
install headers & MSD.  The smog and tune place said they could not do the
inspection because of the MSD.  The tech guy tried to make up something  about
the law.  My reply was "even with the CARB EO#s it's Illegal?"  He still
refused.  So I went to the state referee with the car, they passed the car
after scrutinizing everything inside,outside, under, every possible place to
hide something.  They pulled out a set of binders that contained every CARB EO#
and part.  Basically they knew the CA vehicle laws and what was within the
bounds of the law.  It was not a pleasant experience, but they knew what to
look for.  They asked me where was my NOS when they say the little blue T
connection in the fuel return line.  I had to explain that T conenction is a
fuel sample port.  Then they asked me to remove the oil catch can.  It all
ended with me passing.
Greg
  "Michael R. Clements" <mrclem@telocity.com> wrote: I _believe_ that could
happen to anybody in CA, not just in SoCal. There
is a visual inspection in addition to the sniffer. Even if you pass the
sniffer if the tech notices anything aftermarket on your car that is not
CARB approved he can fail it. Yes you car can pollute less than a Prius
but without the CARB sticker for any aftermarket mods you may be out of
luck.

Did the car fail the sniffer, or did it pass that and fail the visual
inspection?

If it passed the sniffer, she might try going to a different smog place.
The places I've been are not vigilant about the visual inspection as
long as the car passes the sniffer.

If it failed the sniffer than she may need more than the stock intake to
pass...

Greg Umbay

http://www.ita.hondapowered.com
LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience