Re: octane boost

To: <mrclem@telocity.com>, "Autocross" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: octane boost
From: "Jerry Mouton" <jerry@moutons.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 13:45:28 -0700
Michael,

If your engine is not knocking, getting higher octane gas won't
help you a bit.  There is no additional energy or performance in
higher octane fuel.  It just has a slower burning characteristic
that avoids preignition -- knock.  My '64 Jaguar knocks a lot
with pump gas, so I have a neverending quest for octane.

If you are getting preignition,

1. It's at Almaden and Foxworthy, near I87.  The pump octane
    is 100, which means it has a research octane rating of 106,
    higher than the 100 research octane that used to be premium.
    The Jag does not knock a bit with this fuel.

2. 104+ is the most effective additive, the others don't have much
    effect.  104+ doesn't have very much effect, either.  It kept
    knock down to a minimum with the old 92 pump octane fuel, I have
    not tried it yet with the 91 octane available now.

Jerry

Jerry Mouton        mailto:jerry@moutons.org    Laissez les bons temps
rouler!