Re: trouble bending aluminum sway bar arms, advice?

To: black94pgt@pacbell.net
Subject: Re: trouble bending aluminum sway bar arms, advice?
From: Bill Hamburgen 650-617-3329 FAX -3374 <billh@pa.dec.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 08:44:08 -0700
> im trying to bend the speedway engineering sway bar arms i have.  they are
> about 1/2 thick and 1 inch across.  i heated them to c. 550 F and quenched
> to anneal them, but even then i could not bend it even 1 degree.

James,

Don't!!!!  Aluminum has completely different properties than steel and if
you don't know the alloy and how it's been treated, you're begging for
crack initiation and eventual fatigue failure.

Your heat/quench may have already damaged the bar.  You might call Speedway
and get their opinion - probably something like "Why'd ya do dat??".  I sort
of doubt they'll tell you much.  If you care about sway bar failure, you might
want to have it inspected for cracks after it's been in service a little while.
I think fluorescent dye penetrant is how it's done.

/Bill