Re: Great vid clip

To: BA-AUTOX@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Great vid clip
From: "Craig Haggart, SSRL Accelerator Ops Group"
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 22:41:08 -0700 (PDT)
   > ...about 13 minutes of incredible racing between a street
   > prepped Corvette, and a race prepped Lotus Elise.

Man, that's one long track.  The entire clip is just one lap!

I was impressed with how smoothly that guy drove.  If you want
to compare his performance with a guy driving a Ruff Porsche on
the same track, go to www.sjrixon.clara.net/ and download the
file lap1.zip (about 13MB; takes a while).  It seems pretty
clear that the Porsche has street tires, and for all I know the
guy might be actually turning in a faster lap than the Elise,
but the Porsche guy sure is a lot busier than the Lotus guy.
He's making constant (sometimes very large) steering inputs,
and he seems to be spending an awful lot of time recovering
from being sideways.

There is little doubt about his cojones, though.  Not only is
he going all-out, flinging that Porsche around with total
abandon and sliding through almost every corner, he's not
wearing a helmet.  Sacre bleu!

There's an additional file of that Porsche, lap2.zip, with a
number of outside-the-car shots.  A couple of them were taken
from a helicopter as the Porsche goes sliding through some
corners.  It's pretty cool.

--
-Craig Haggart
 haggart@slac.stanford.edu