Re: trailer wiring?

To: Phil Esra <philesra@hotmail.com>, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: trailer wiring?
From: Greg Umbay <greg_umbay@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 11:49:10 -0700 (PDT)
--0-424238335-959885350=:20343

 Phil,

     You have asked a question that I may be able to answer.  First back in
another life, I was a Circuit Shity car stereo installer.  Electrical crimps
are cheap and easy but can fall off.  Soldering is your best bet.  To weather
proof the connection you can use shrink tubing and a hair dryer to seal it up.

     As for the electircal connections, I cannot give you a direct answer, but
I can help you figure it out and maybe even help you with the work.  We can tap
the turn signal wires and the brake light wires separately right at each light.
   Using 12 volt single pull relays we can trigger the brake lights on the
trailer when the MR2's brake lights go on.  Same for the turn signals.  Does
the trailer have one light that doubles as the brake light and turn signal?
The idea here is to just piggy back the MR2's lights.

You mentioned that it is a 4 wire plug.  Is that a single harness for the whole
trailer?  Then it should be one brake light wire, left turn wire, right turn
wire and common ground.  Yeah that sounds right, common ground and psitive
trigger.  If I am right then you can hook the brake wire to one of the brake
lights, one wire for each right and left turn signals and then gound wire.
Realys may not be needed.

Was that enough blah blah blah

Greg

Phil Esra
wrote:

Okay, I told you I was going to ask more questions. I just bought an 80cc
shifter kart, which I'm going to tow behind the MR2. Nobody makes a plug-in
wiring harness for it (towing with an MR2??), so I bought a generic, 4-wire
connector to match the plug on the trailer. I don't have a great grasp of
electricity, but I don't see how I can set the trailer up (using the current
4-wire plug) to have turn signals without causing the car's turn signals to
come on under braking? Any suggestions?

Also: what's the preferred techniqe for splicing the wires in? Are you
s'posed to solder them, or can I use those little pincher thingies, or wire
nuts?

Thanks! I bow in ignorance before the collected wisdom of ba-autox.

Phil

Street Touring -S

http://streettouring.homepage.com

---------------------------------
--0-424238335-959885350=:20343

<P> Phil,</P>
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; You have asked a question that I may be able to
answer.&nbsp; First back in another life, I was a Circuit Shity car stereo
installer.&nbsp; Electrical crimps are cheap and easy but can fall off.&nbsp;
Soldering is your best bet.&nbsp; To weather proof the connection you can use
shrink tubing and a hair dryer to seal it up.</P>
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; As for the electircal connections, I cannot give
you a direct answer, but I can help you figure it out and maybe even help you
with the work.&nbsp; We can tap the turn signal wires and the brake light wires
separately right at each light.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Using 12 volt single pull
relays we can trigger the brake lights on the trailer when&nbsp;the MR2's brake
lights go on.&nbsp; Same for the turn signals.&nbsp; Does the trailer have one
light that doubles as the brake light and turn signal?&nbsp; The idea here is
to just piggy back the MR2's lights.&nbsp; </P>
<P>You mentioned that it is a 4 wire plug.&nbsp; Is that a single harness for
the whole trailer?&nbsp; Then it should be one brake light wire, left turn
wire, right turn wire and common ground.&nbsp; Yeah that sounds right, common
ground and psitive trigger.&nbsp; If I am right then you can hook the brake
wire to one of the brake lights, one wire for each right and left turn signals
and then gound wire.&nbsp; Realys may not be needed.</P>
<P>Was that enough blah blah blah</P>
<P>Greg</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P> <BR><B><I>Phil Esra <PHILESRA@HOTMAIL.COM></I></B>wrote: <BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px;
PADDING-LEFT: 5px"><BR>Okay, I told you I was going to ask more questions. I
just bought an 80cc <BR>shifter kart, which I'm going to tow behind the MR2.
Nobody makes a plug-in <BR>wiring harness for it (towing with an MR2??), so I
bought a generic, 4-wire <BR>connector to match the plug on the trailer. I
don't have a great grasp of <BR>electricity, but I don't see how I can set the
trailer up (using the current <BR>4-wire plug) to have turn signals without
causing the car's turn signals to <BR>come on under braking? Any
suggestions?<BR><BR>Also: what's the preferred techniqe for splicing the wires
in? Are you <BR>s'posed to solder them, or can I use those little pincher
thingies, or wire <BR>nuts?<BR><BR>Thanks! I bow in ignorance before the
collected wisdom of
 Touring -S</P>
Send instant messages & get email alerts with <a
href="http://im.yahoo.com/";>Yahoo! Messenger</a>.
--0-424238335-959885350=:20343--