Re: anyone have an opinion about the new Lexus IS300

To: Nandaholz@aol.com
Subject: Re: anyone have an opinion about the new Lexus IS300
From: Derek Butts <pnc1@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 08:49:48 -0700
Since I work for Lexus I am somewhat biased.  The specs on this car should make
it a decent vehicle for daily use/autocrossing.  I imagine its a G stock car

The inline 6 cylinder has a wide torque band and good power.  The engine is
placed behind the front axle for better weight distribution (near 50/50)  One
down side is that the manual transmission won't be available until 2001.
However the 5 speed automatic is pretty slick with the shifter built into the
steering wheel (a la Formula 1)

This car is dead on the 3 series BMW's.  A turbo 2.0 liter six-speed manual has
been on sale in Europe as the Toyota Altezza for almost a year.  So far it has
held its own on the racing circuits overseas.

TRD and many aftermarket suppliers already have a full variety of performance
goodies too.

We are currently taking orders on this car which is due to arrive 4th of July
weekend.  I am certain that most Lexus dealers won't add markup like thier
Toyota counterparts.

-Derek Butts
CS MR2
GS IS300?