Re: Origin of Chicago boxes

To: "philip ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Subject: Re: Origin of Chicago boxes
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 02:56:45 -0600
They researched MGAs there?

Naw. Course was at Lake Geneva Speedway, a 1/3-mile paved oval with a
dragstrip running lengthwise through it.

Course started on one end of the dragstrip, turned left onto the oval,
halfway around we went back up the dragstrip and then left again onto the
other side of the oval, halfway around and up the far end of the dragstrip
to the finish. Of course, a lot of wiggly autocrossy stuff on each section.

The track has a high concrete wall where we ran the first part of the oval.
It was drizzly and a couple cars got loose and made it to the wall (ow!).
The finish was a long banzai run -- the only Nationals where I recall
getting into 4th gear with my DP (EP then, GP next year) Spitfire. Trophied
4th and later discovered I'd done it on (another!) broken axle.

That was, actually, the first Nationals for my Spitfire (drove a GS Pinto in
the inaugural event in '73). It has competed in every one since and is the
only car that can claim that.

--Rocky