Re: 131 SS (elise classing)

To: "Randy Chase" <randyc2@cox.net>, "Team. Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 131 SS (elise classing)
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchelltx@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 10:54:32 -0500
Randy Chase wrote:

>According to Lotus, they have optimized the car to be close to
>perfect out of the box, but that of course does not mean
optimized for
>autocrossing and with Hoosiers.

One other item I forgot to ask about: you didn't mention any
issues related to no LSD, and you said it's difficult to keep the
engine in its powerband. That makes it appear that traction
exiting corners is a nonissue. Is this the case?

>The car may benefit from a stiffer front bar.

If there are corner-exit traction issues, that would certainly
help.

>I expect over the next 6 months we will be
>researching these things.

I'm pleasantly surprised by your results. I would bet money that
the car will be classed in SS, if it's given a place to play in
Stock. I was concerned that it might be uncompetitive there. Your
experience so far would indicate that it has a fighting chance in
SS, but that it won't be an obvious overdog. Hopefully, that also
means that Stock Elises won't be banished to ASP.

Keep us posted.

Jay