Re: street solos

To: "Dick Rasmussen" <rasmussend@mindspring.com>, <Smokerbros@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: street solos
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:00:53 -0600
Wichita Region's River Festival Solo II began life as a street solo. The
first one was downtown on a wide street in front of the  Century II
convention, center -- one of those streets designed more for attractiveness,
with alternating sections of brick and fairly smooth concrete = poor
traction. the course slalomed down this varying pavement, then around a
traffic island which had asphalt pavement (sudden traction!) around it. So
setting the tires really soft to try to get a grip on the brick and
concrete, suddenly there was *ample* traction for the 180 around the island.
Felt like the car wanted to bicycle, but fortunately the speed was way slow
there so there were no untoward incidents. A cop got out his radar gun and
shot me at 54mph -- more than double the speed limit.

It was really a fun and memorable event, with entry limited to experienced
drivers. A couple of later events went up a downtown side street (off the
no-traction pavement), and indeed a couple of curbs were nailed, before the
event migrated to a college parking lot (entry open to anyone) for most of
its 20+ years.

--Rocky