RE: New Member Attraction (wasUD/BD Explained

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: New Member Attraction (wasUD/BD Explained
From: "Jason" <jasondjackson@excite.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 10:08:01 -0400 (EDT)
(Digest mode delayed)

This discussion of who can go to Nationals and how to increase membership hits
home with me.  The region of record I belong, River Cities, presently has 36
members that we draw from one county in WV and 4 in KY.  We have struggled with
sites for Solos for the past 10 years just as every other region has, but we
continue to try and find new areas and run events March thru November.  Our
budget for lot rental is small and those of you who have been to WV, flat land
is a premium item.  STS is our largest class, albeit with usually 4 to five
drivers.  But it does allow those younger gen-y'rs to to bring their modified
compacts and have a class to run in that they can at least compete with each
other.

As far as everyone competing in Nationals, the name of the event says it all.
It is the national championship for Solo II.  It doesn't usually happen, but
anyone who pays their entry fee, waivered or not, deserves the right to run and
could possibly trophy or win their class.  I have never attended the event, but
once school, work, and children allow, I plan to attend the Nationals and I try
to run a divisional/tour event each year just to see the top drivers run and
how I compare (usually miserably) but still enjoy the experience.  Backmarkers,
DFL's, whatever you choose to call them, are all part of the equation and add
to the nature of the event.  As someone said earlier, we drive cars on parking
lots, airstrips, etc. against the clock.  I always keep that in mind when I
catch myself starting to take this all too seriously.  My 2cents....

Jason Jackson
jasondjackson@excite.com