RE: Harbor Freight welders

To: "'Eric Linnhoff'" <knuckledragger@kcweb.net>,
Subject: RE: Harbor Freight welders
From: "Bruce Haden" <bhaden@ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 08:10:34 -0700
I got a Lincoln 120v 135 amp MIG at Lowe's for $427.00 minus $30.00
rebate
=$397.00 last year. That included everything except the gas tank and you
don't need that if you stick with the flux core wire for steel welding.
Using CO-2 and solid core wire makes for a MUCH nicer weld though and a
LOT less splatter. I really LOVE mine. I also have a Lincoln 175 TIG
that is
a great hobby welder for guys like us. It also doubles as a stick
welder.
Both of these welders are quality pieces.
If you don't have one already, get an auto-darkening helmet. Worth the
$$$.

        Bruce

I know I'm going to regret this question as I already know the "proper"
answer, but....

If one were to purchase one of Harbor Freight's 110v MIG welders, does
anyone know what company actually makes them so one could acquire
replacement parts when needed?  Specifically their Chicago Electric
Welding
Systems and Hobart branded welders.  They are of course less than
forthcoming about the origins of the welders.

I know, I know.  I should just plunk down the $700 for a good Miller or
Lincoln 175 model, but I simply don't (yet) need that much power or
really
have that much money to invest in one.

Or, has anyone upgraded to a "real" welder and want to sell off their
"starter" 110v welder to me?