Re: $10k in GS upgrades

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: $10k in GS upgrades
From: Craig & Cynthia Naylor <magazine@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 11:48:03 -0800
I normally just read in Digest mode, and comment about once a year, as I've
read your banter about costs, I must say I've had to pick my jaw up off of the
floor a couple of times.

I'll admit I probably don't have the credentials you are looking for.  I have
never been to National's because: my wife is a High School teacher, I have 2
small children; and National's is conveniently timed just after summer break in
the beginning of the school year.  But I'd love to go!

What have I done:
I've been autocrossing for 7 years, all in GS (old ES).  I started in a Geo
Prizm, and currently run a "Bone stock" '91 Acura Integra GS.  Other than a few
body panels,
and the right rear shock, (an accident an '97) everything save consumable, are
straight from the Japanese factory floor in '91.  I do run on Kumo
victorracers, normally
other competitors throwaways, mounted on 1st gen MR2 alloy rims.  (Many have
told me there isn't a heavier rim made, but it's what I could afford.)  By the
way this
car is my wife's daily driver, with a generic alignment from the local
Firestone ($125.00 lifetime warranty).

With this setup (or total lack there of) I have managed:

San Diego Region ES GS (w/ change) champion 1997-2002.
Mid pack 6th place 2000 S.D. tour. (my first in the car, ran the '98 & '99 in
the prizm for kicks, as I didn't have a chance in hell w the automatic.)
Trophy 3rd place (9 entries) 2001 S.D. Tour
Trophy 2nd place (8 entries) 2001 El Toro Pro
Trophy 1st place (5 entries) 2001 Atwater Pro
Tied for 2nd place (was ES) in overall points points going into the Pro Solo,
for which I could not attend, and probably would have been handed my toosh on a
silver
platter.
Trophy 4th place (10 entries) 2002 S.D. Tour
Trophy 2nd place (6 entries) 2002 El Toro Pro
Trophy 4th place (13 entries) 2002 Atwater Pro

Since the old ES was split half going to HS, the other half remaining with many
of the prior GS cars in the new GS last year, I only had 1 old ES car place
above me
once in those three events.   So with relatively no money spent in car setup,
in an underdog car in the "new GS" (130 hp) and relatively equivalent weight to
other cars w/
as much as 200 hp in the new GS of last year, I managed to remain competitive.

So, in direct answers to your questions: I started with your last question
first above.  If I had some money, a couple hundred maybe, I could do a bit
better.  Does all that
expense count ($10K), from my perspective obviously not!  But if just a little
of your excess pocket change could fall out of your pocket and roll down the
20% grade of
a driveway you have I'd be happy to scrounge for it,  adoption is not
necessary.  I did, and do manage to get on that 50K alignment rack for a
onetime upfront fee, but
must admit I can't talk them into playing with the toe or camber outside
factory specks, but Joe does put them at there max.'s within the specks for me.

Can money spent in car preparation help, sure.  Can someone be competitive on a
shoestring budget at a National level, YES!!!  Can some one be a National
champion
on a shoestring budget, probably not.   Can money be thrown down the drain for
no benefit? I think you have answered that question yourself.

Craig Naylor
'91 Acura Integra (GS)