Re: advice on street tires anyone?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: advice on street tires anyone?
From: PbPied@aol.com
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 11:52:35 EST
Best advice I can offer regarding tires on a street driven vehicle
is to rotate the tires every other oil change, and run slightly
higher than the usually recommended pressures.

Very few on this list have not changed tires twice or more on a
weekend, and for street/autocross cars the rotation can happen
on any schedule at all during the competition season.  With our
extensive experience at changing tires, a corner swap during an
oil change should be no sweat to anyone reading this.

For street only cars, I have found that the 6K mile rotation is
excellent for extending tire life and warding off those pesky singing
noises that are due to aberrant treadwear.  I recently put new tires
on the family AstroVan, after the previous set made 64K miles.  The
tire dealer told me that the Pirelli Scorpions that came off generally
wore out at 45K miles or so.  By running 38PSI and doing the
rotations, I extended that by about 40%, and they were not really
worn out for dry or even wet weather....  But since I live where snow is
a factor in the winter, it was time to get deeper tread.

Others will give you advice on which tire to buy, just remember to
keep them pumped up and moving from corner to corner on a regular
basis.  You may get more life out of them than you expect!  If there is
a tire size which would be appropriate to run both front and rear, you
could swap diagonally, instead of just side to side.....

Alan