advice on street tires anyone?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: advice on street tires anyone?
From: ThoughtBoxLabs@aol.com
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 00:51:30 -0500
It's time for new street tires on the 97 M3.  Does anyone have
advice/suggestions for 245/40 zr17 tires on a car this heavy (hard on tires)?
The Pirelli's I have on there now have been okay, but when I was using
Michellin Pilots I had to replace the rears once a year.  Ideally, i'll need to
find a tire that is available in both 245/40 zr17 and 225/45 zr17 (front tire
size).

I care about performance, road noise, and mildly about durability.  I'd be okay
with tires that will last 2 yrs. on the rear, 3 on the front.

On a side note, the Pirelli P7000 Supersports I have now produce a prominent
whine right at 75 mph.  This has only been in the last 3 months.  Does anyone
know if this might be due to tire design, abnormal wear, poor mounting, etc?

Thanks in advance,
Will