Re: Welding novice question...

To: "Yuri Klepach" <civicr1992@yahoo.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Welding novice question...
From: "Tom Holt" <tholt@ccsi.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 09:36:42 -0600
    As most others have said, for mild steel use 25%/75% Argon/CO2. I've
used it along with mild steel wire to weld stainless. Obviously you will
have the potential for rust at the joint but as far as strength goes
stainless and regular steel can be handled the same. If you want to do
pretty stainless welds you will need stainless wire and, (I assume) pure
argon. (never done that).
    For welding aluminum you will definitely need pure argon and you will
really need a gun with the wire spool mounted on it. I have tried to run Al.
wire all the way through the hose and can tell you to not waste your time.
Virtually all MIGs have a little roller at the machine end of the hose and
it pushes the wire out of the gun 6 or more feet down stream.  Aluminum wire
is too soft and buckles very easily. It may work for a little while but
eventually the wire will gall in the hose and you can forget it after that.
Mig welding with aluminum is really hard to get right and chances are you
will not get pretty welds... in fact you will get downright ugly welds. The
one job I tried to do, I ended up taking it to a pro with a TIG and let him
clean up my work.
    As for bottle size, get the 40 cf of argon/CO2. That's what you will
probably use the most. If you really want to try the aluminum you can buy a
20 cf bottle of pure argon. That's only about the size of a 2 or 3 liter
soda bottle and would be nice to have for the odd jobs.

Tom