Tractor Batteries

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tractor Batteries
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 13:36:56 -0600
 Larry Steckel wrote:

 > This conversion will probably work OK for a race car, but not
> one driven on
 > the street. I doubt that any lawn tractor battery has the cold
 cranking amps
 > or the reserve capacity to start an automotive engine when the
 temperature
 > drops into the teens or twenties.

 FWIW, I had an Autozone Lawn and Garden battery in my 86 VW GTI,
back before the "same size and type" battery restriction was
introduced into the Stock rules. I cranked the car a number of
times in weather that was seriously sub-freezing (never below
zero F, however) without any problems. I did always keep it in
tune, but with a modern car (one that has EFI, HEI, long-life
spark plugs, etc.) this is not a big deal.

 > Even under the best of conditions, they
> won't last long.

 That's true, but when you can buy a new one for $19.95, who
 cares?

 Jay