Re: Stock Shock Rules Rewrite

To: "Jim Thompson" <tomsn16@bellsouth.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stock Shock Rules Rewrite
From: "Joe Goeke" <teamnet@hedlygoeke.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 00:25:08 -0800
> Thanks to Byron for outlining so well the problems created by the current
> shock rule.When the input was requested(last year I think) to exclude
triple
> and quad adjustable shocks I wrote my first ever letter to the SEB and
> suggested that only OEM and off-the-shelf SINGLE adjustables  be allowed
in
> stock classes because 1. COST 2. AVAILABILITY and 3. multi adjustables are
> just TOO FAR from any reasonable definition of"stock". Now,a year or so
down
> the line, we have ultra expensive custom made shocks ( single and double)
> being used by a very few that have the time and money that most don't.I
agree
> with Byron that this problem will only get bigger if the rule is not
amended.

This has probably already been said, but the fallacy with restricting shocks
to single adjustment, would just up the cost for the special shocks.  Most
folks I know with the trick shocks don't readjust them hardly if at all once
you find the setting that make the car work.  How to get around the new rule
you propose.  Easy, first you make the double/triple shock, experiment and
test to find the best overall settings, and then build a single that has the
found settings for that car.  Now you are buying two expensive shocks.  How
doe this help?

---JHG