Subject: Why most autocrossers don't want their sport on TV

To: autox@autox.team.net
From: bthatch@juno.com
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 10:09:58 -0500
>From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
>Subject: Why most autocrossers don't want their sport on TV

>It's abundantly evident that the requirements that would have to be met
in order for our sport to get on TV - as articulated by those most >in
favor of this development - clearly result in something that is _not_
Solo II.

Maybe not Solo II as it exits in its current format. But it would still
be Solo II according to the definitions in the rulebook. Now get ready
for the name calling and character assassinations summarized in your
paragraph below. Yep, that's what I'm looking for, a way to get myself on
TV (Yeah Right, like that would happen). Maybe you could be a little more
specific about exactly how getting Solo on TV would "...screw up a
well-established, successful sport."  Merry Christmas, Jay.

>Here's my suggestion to the malcontents: devote your efforts to creating
a _new_ sport that suits your preferences, and see if you can >get a
paying audience and TV sponsorship for that sport. See also if any
significant number of serious autocrossers has an interest in >competing
in such a sport. That way, those of us who actually _like_ Solo II as it
now exists won't have to underwrite the pursuit of
>someone else's ego-gratification. Best I can tell, there are a handful
of folks who apparently need public recognition in order to feel good
>about their hobbies. You're certainly entitled to your insecurities, but
you're _not_ entitled to screw up a well-established, successful >sport.