Re: Start Design

To: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>,
Subject: Re: Start Design
From: "Patrick Washburn" <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 07:49:08 -0600
On the North course of this year's Nat's, I took a similar approach.  (Sorry
for those who could not run the North Course.)  My CM Swift was not geared
properly for a good launch on concrete,being geared to high.  Going around
the first 90 degree left prior to the lights didn't help, and I felt that I
would not be able to control the car well enough around the corner with the
usual "light 'em up" launch style I employ in straight starts.  When
flagged, I simply moved along the right side limits of the box of cones in
no particular hurry, got turned left enough to be mostly lined up, and then
I let it fly trying ot maximize the distance from where I let it go to the
lights.  Never compared, but I think I got a better launch this way.  (Of
course I sucked the rest of the way around so who knows!)  Had I been geared
different, I would have done it more conventionally, but this worked for me.

I do see the occasional course where this is the case.  Most of the newer
drivers launch hard off the line, only to have to haul it down for the
pre-lights turn.  I, and other more experienced drivers, calmly move off the
start line until it is time to get on it.  Despite what some have said, this
is easier on your drive line...you are still launching hard, but you avoid
the momentary shock loads a standing start creates.  IMHO of course.

> > I don't think we're talking about the same thing.  I don't disagree that a
> > turn immediately before the lights needs to be taken as aggressively as
> > possible.  However, that doesn't necessarily require leaving the line as
> > hard as possible.  Its simply a function of the course design.
> >
> > KeS

Patrick Washburn
C-Tech Trailer Cabinets
Designed for the Racer