Mental Block

To: Teamdotnet <autox@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Mental Block
From: Matt Murray <mattm@optonline.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 08:12:31 -0500
I'm just not doing this right.

I just put snow tires. I know they are a little small than stock. My town
uses one of those unmanned radar speed displays to tell you how fast you are
going. I know that the unit may not be 100%, but I'll use it as my baseline.
Before the snow tires, I had a 10% error from the radar unit, i.e. I plug
the car in at 30 mph, and the radar unit displays about 27 mph. The wife's
A4 was almost exactly the same as the radar unit. After the snows, I plug in
at 35 mph and see a display of 30. Plug in at 60 (I love to turn the display
from yellow to red numbers :^)    ), and display about 52. I'm guessing a
15% error now.

Here's the mental block. I just filled up with gas for 13.685 with 385.7
miles (28.1 average). But I have a 15% error, so is my mileage worse (23.9)
or better (32.1)? My guess is better. No prizes on this answer, just the
supreme satisfaction of being a math geek (Byron?).  :^)

Happy Holidays to all and a have a great 2002!!!

Matt Murray

mattm@optonline.net

Copyright 2001, Matthew D. Murray.  Permission to reproduce these words
on the list explicitly granted.