Re: Tires for Next year

To: "Larry Steckel" <lorenzoscribe@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: Tires for Next year
From: "Brian Berryhill" <brianberryhill@usa.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 16:16:23 -0500
Sounds like you should be a part of the STS tire discussions! :)

The Falken Azenis does seem like a great tire for street-touring.
http://falken.innovapp.com/html/products/azenis/azenis.htm is the url I
think.
I haven't tried them yet, but they are going to be my next tire.  The
grapevine has said that the Tire Rack can't sell Falken because of some
weird Falken marketing requirements.  I don't know what those are though.

My experience with tires, from worst to best:  Goodyear Eagle F1 GS,
Goodyear Gatorback, Dunlop D40M2, Yokohama AVS Intermediate, Bridgestone
Potenza RE71.  If money is no object, get some Pilots or S-02's or S-03's.
If you're on a budget, the RE730's would be a good choice.  If you're on a
really tight budget, AVSi's or Kumho Ecsta 712's would be good.

I've been really happy with my AVSi's on the autocross course; but be aware,
they are horrible in standing water.  That's why my RE71's were best.  They
stuck great, and didn't hydroplane in puddles.

Many people on the STS list have said the 712's are a great street tire, but
don't have the max grip of some others.  The BFG KD would probably be a more
popular street-touring tire if it was available in smaller sizes.

Brian

--
http://www.angelfire.com/ms/brianberryhill
MS region autox, Nov 17-18: http://www.angelfire.com/ms2/scca/