Re: Tires for Next year

To: CRX fanatic <swguth@isza.com>
Subject: Re: Tires for Next year
From: Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 11:41:24 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, CRX fanatic wrote:

> Larry Steckel wrote:
>
> > Well the last event of the season is over and the Bridgestone RE-71's on the
> > 240SX are completely shot.  What to buy? North Hills runs a hard tire Stock
> > Class and so I run on hard tires all the time. I think y'all know I don't
> > really believe in the gumballs being allowed in Stock class.
> >
> > I talked to Tire Rack. They suggested Bridgestone RE730's in 205-55-ZR15 or
> > 205-50-ZR15 as the direct replacement. The RE-71's were rated at 140 tread
> > wear the 730's are listed at 300.
> >
> > They listed Kuhmo Ecsta 712's 205-55-VR15 and 205-50-VR15 as a second
> > choice, but not as good as the 730's.  Wear number 340.
> >
> > At our last event the driver of a Street Touring Accura was waxing rhapsodic
> > about the Falken Axenis. (I guess he liked them a lot.)  Weird tread
> > pattern. I poked those tires a few times and they felt like an old Yokohama
> > 008. Their web site shows a 205-50-VR15 with a 400 wear rating.
> >
> > Anybody out there with comparative experience?  Suggestions? Warnings?
> >
> > Let the bench racing begin.
> >
> > Larry Steckel
> > 1993 240SX
> > going to G Stock (Sigh!)
> >

> Yokohama AVS Intermediates!!!!

I'm not overly impressed by the AVS-Is on the Miata I just bought.  Good
feedback, moderate grip.  They are probably no faster than the Kumho
Ecstas were, but have less tread squirm.  Neither are nearly as good as
the RE71RAZs I used to run, which were very similar to the Firestone SZ50
(alas no longer made).  Those last two are a notch below the high-prices
spread of Pole Position S02s and MXXs.  Don't know what your size choices
are in those.

KeS