Re: Proposal for SP cars to compete in P ??? (Rocky's History

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Proposal for SP cars to compete in P ??? (Rocky's History
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 20:20:55 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Hoelscher" <stevehh@hiwaay.net>

> Un-doing the issue is met with the same resistance that un-doing wheels
and
> intakes in SP are.  "I don't want to be forced to buy new wheels" is your
> primary objection.  First of all, that is not the case.  A rule allowing a
> maximum width for the "assembly" would leave your current wheels legal.
So
> you would not be "forced" to change.  However, you would have a "choice"
> change.  There could also be "competition adjustments" that could be used
> keep the non-cantilever equipped cars from having a significant advantage.
> Say, a 50 or 100 lb weight penalty for use of a wider wheel.

I have never seen an equivalency formula that ever was truly equivalent on
an event-to-event, venue-to-venue basis. And unfortunately the historical
reality is, once a new "allowance" is granted, it always manages to get
pushed a little farther (or a lot farther) than the rulemakers ever
envisioned. Yeah, right, I could still use my 6" wheels with cantilevers and
you (not Steve specifically, a generic "you") could use your 8" wheels with
straightwall radials. The new allowance would start people figuring the
angles, come up with ways they would be superior, and all us on 6-inchers
would have to go to new wheels in order to catch up.

(And those of us who do double duty with our cars -- road racing and solo --
would have to swap wheels back and forth all the time, not to mention
suspension settings, etc. Right now my primary setup difference is I road
race on lower pressures because multiple laps will build the pressure to
optimum; for Solo I need to start at optimum.)

Almost anything ever permitted in solo or road racing as an "allowance" soon
became "the setup" and woe betide any who did not jump on board.

Thing is, people -- IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT THE RULES ARE, IT ONLY MATTERS
THAT THERE ARE RULES. A wide wheel rule would work. An unrestricted wheel
rule would work. A narrow wheel rule would (and does) work. They all work.
It leaves only to decide which to use. The decision was long ago made. We
have a narrow wheel rule. It works. There is no good reason to change it
just because some "would like something else."

I an less opposed to a wide-wheel rule than I am to changing a rule that
currently exists and works, because the change would only cost money that,
for those of us who already have P cars, has already been spent and does not
need to be spent again.

Bollinger was responding to an anticipated disappearance of cantilevers.
There was indeed, at the time he formulated his proposal, some discussion
that that might happen. Steve perceived a problem and came up with a
solution. Good for him. Had the problem come to pass, it would have been a
plausible solution (but not the only solution). The problem did not happen.
It is not likely to happen in the near future. Ergo, the solution becomes
unnecessary. Every other argument presented falls simply in the "I'd like to
do it differently" category.