Re: Proposal for SP cars to compete in P ???

To: "Mark Sirota" <mark@sirota.org>, "Eric Salem"
Subject: Re: Proposal for SP cars to compete in P ???
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 17:20:13 -0500
The stupid thing about SP is that the  SEB let the category get away from
them.

When it was invented (in 1983 -- and note that it did not have to endure
several years as a "supplemental" class at Nationals), it was meant to fill
the very large gap between Stock and Prepared. The original concept was
"bolt-on options," but basically they got it wrong with what was allowed
under that concept. Bolt on a bigger carb, sure! Only after that genie was
out of its bottle did they realize that SP did not fit into the Stock>Prep
gap, but went off in a different direction. "Street Prepared" was a
prescient name -- it is still Prepared, just different.

It was more than stock, originally less than Prep, but not really a natural
steppingstone since it permitted things Prep did not allow. And nowadays, it
has gotten to the point of being very nearly equal to Prep. --- From this
year's Nationals: The ASP champ was half a second slower than the AP champ.
The top 4 in ESP would have trophied in CP. The top 5 in BSP beat the BP
runner-up and the BP winner would have been 3rd in BSP. CSP/DSP and DP/EP
are harder to compare because the car mixes in the classes do not really
match up. But I can tell you from experience that a well-prepped and
well-driven Miata is just as much an overdog to me whether it is DP or CSP.

As Danny Shields said, ST is what SP should have been. But with 18 years of
history behind it now, SP is not likely to be going away anytime soon. At
this point, it is not necessary that it be any kind of steppingstone. It has
survived quite well on its own and probably should just be left alone.

Of course, part of the problem with Prepared is that it, too, was originally
two different rulesets -- Production and GT rules taken from road racing
(and nothing wrong with that! perfectly good rules!). But Prod is much more
restrictive than GT. In some classes it did not matter -- All BP and CP cars
were basically GT1s. In some it did -- DP and EP had some cars built to GT
rules, some built to Prod rules. But it was manageable. Now that AP is this
weird "Mod Light" class, and DP/EP/FP have their own rules divorced from the
roadrace rulebook, it has become less manageable. The last thing we need is
still ANOTHER ruleset coming into the category to muck it up some more.

As for steppingstones -- in one sense we have it and it is just fine; in
another it does not matter. The first sense is that we have classes of cars
built to low, medium and high levels of preparation. It doesn't matter that
they are not linear levels. We have three levels and a person can choose
which he would feel comfortable in (ignoring Mod, and leaving ST out of the
conversation for now). The second sense is that almost no one buys a car,
then slowly builds it up through the various steps. When someone decides it
is time to move up, more often than not it is with a new "project" car.
Those who do have a Stock class car they want to take up the ladder tend to
choose either the SP or P direction and go that way. Once there, they have a
car they run in that category until they decide to sell it and do something
else.

--Rocky Entriken