SP Classes

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: SP Classes
From: JD_Kemp@URSCorp.com
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 10:59:19 -0400
Hi All-

Why is it that in order for a new class to come along, even a healthy,
growing one like SM or the Street Touring classes, it always seems somebody
has to try to "kill off" some other class?

In this case, it seems like the intended victim is the SP group.  SP
was/is/will be a neat set of rules, that appeal to a wide range of the
racers that I know.  SP rules fit just fine for a lot of us "backyard"
mechanics.  I can take my Craps-Man wrench set and bolt on a new intake and
carb or an aftermarket sway bar or springs or header or distributor or seat
or etc, etc.  Am I going to put a "hot" cam in my car?  Don't wanna tackle
that job.  Swap engines?  No, not gonna do that right at the moment, and I
don't wanna have to race against the guy who put a killer Acura motor in
his Civic.

I've seen the postings that SP "doesn't work in this era" and other similar
sentiments.  Well, I most respectfully disagree with that.  Our little
region has a healthy contingent of SP cars, 14 entrants out of 47 in
September.  I see 20+ entries listed at the SE Divisional in Tennessee
earlier this year.  The entry list for the Divisional in Perry, Georgia
shows 27 entries in SP classes.  Looking at Nationals Results, I see ASP
with "only" 21 cars as the "smallest" group in the bunch.  Total entrants
for SP classes was 226, iffen I did the addition correctly.  Suffice it to
say, there was a BUNCH of 'em.  So, I don't see that the numbers of
entrants in SP classes supports any arguments that there is some "problem"
with the SP class rules.

Having said that, I do, however, support fully that the SCCA should have a
place for that guy with the hot motor in his little car.  SM is a GREAT
idea, as is STS and STR.  I really am glad to see the club reaching out to
the current group of "hotrodders" with their hopped up imports.  That's a
group of folks we need to support the club for the future.  But, hey, don't
some of those young-uns with the baggy pants and earrings have cars with
the original motors and fancy'd up suspensions?  Sounds to me like THEY
need the good ol' SP classes so they have a level playing field too!

In other words, folks, why doncha leave SP alone.  It isn't broke, and
doesn't need fixing.  Thanks anyway.

Peace, Love & Pushrods-
JD Kemp &
"Lucretia MacEvil" #13 MGB (in F/SP!)