Re: Nationals Surface Repair & Rock Removal Fund Proposal

To: "Alan Pozner" <apozner@ptd.net>, <JDMurphy47@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Nationals Surface Repair & Rock Removal Fund Proposal
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 13:10:31 -0500
> 3) The problem is that the surface is breaking up. Fixing it by removing
the
> loose material is like fixing an oil leak in a British car by putting a
rag
> underneath it :-)

What! Isn't that how you do it? It's how I take care of the oil leaks in MY
British car!!

:-)

> The only way to solve the problem is to repave - the cost
> per entrant would then be something like $1000 per year for 10 years.

Exactly right, and we would be farther ahead in the game if that was new
paving at a dedicated site, not trying to reinvent 50-year-old concrete. The
commitment by both MTAA and SCCA is to seek funding, in which $10/per ain't
gonna even make a dent. It'd be about enough to buy Gatorade for the
construction workers eventually. But even if such a fund were established,
it would be better earmarked toward a permanent site (and may well be a good
idea toward that end. We would then share, even if only somewhat
symbolically, in the cost of our playground).

BTW -- a comparison. Hallett Motor Racing Circuit in Oklahoma has for
several years now assessed a $20 per entrant "repaving fee" on every race.
While some small patching was done in the past couple of years, only just
this year has the track finally gotten to doing some serious repaving of
that 24-year-old track. I do not know for sure, but I suspect that much of
that work was a commitment by its new owners, rather than the result of
years of collecting that repaving fee. And you have to consider that
repaving Hallett (1.8 miles) is like paving ONLY the two courses at
Nationals, only between the cones, NOT the entire expanse of concrete.

--Rocky