Re: ProSolo/GRM

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ProSolo/GRM
From: TeamZ3@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 09:42:36 EST
OK, can't keep silent anymore...

Pro Solo appeals to a limited group of hard-core solo enthusiasts seeking the
highest level of competition, at best maybe 500 people.  Even when GRM was a
supposed partner in the Great Pro Solo Marketing Debacle of 1999, we still
didn't generate much coverage in their magazine.  That is not to fault GRM,
rather it is simple economics.  As in any marketing strategy, GRM seeks to
efficiently appeal to the largest possible target audience with the minimal
outlay of resources for the end goal of generating a profit.  Appealing to
only 500 people on the fringe of their target audience isn't going to
generate enough copy sales to justify publishing multiple pages in a
colorful, glossy independent magazine.

There's a reason the magazine is now titled GrassRoots Motorsports, rather
than Auto-X as it was originally known; the audience of both subscribers and
marketing sponsors was too small to take them where they wanted to go.
Looking at how far Tim Suddard and company have come over the years, I
personally can't fault their decision to evolve into GRM.  The quality and
depth of the magazine today is world's beyond the days of Auto-X magazine.
The original Auto-X magazine was one of the main motivators that pushed me
into Solo competition.  Despite the minimal Solo coverage in GRM, I am
appreciative for what coverage we do receive.  I continue to be a dedicated
subscriber for no other reason than I believe GRM does an excellent job
filling a niche in lower level motorsports coverage, the same as North
American Pylon does.

While it may bruise certain braggart egos, I don't think the rest of the
world really cares that much about who-beat-who in Pro Solo.  We get
dedicated event coverage in both SportsCar and NAP, as well as a dedicated
column in SportsCar by Danny Shields. Considering the audience, I think
that's damn good.  Now if we could only honor the class winner's with more
than a t-shirt and an iron-on "1st Place" decal for a trophy, we'd be in fat
city.

Mark Sipe
 - would rather travel 800 miles to a Pro Solo than go to a Tour next door.