Re: Nitto 555 Drag Radial

To: "Brad Utterback" <bmpracing@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Nitto 555 Drag Radial
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 01:54:16 -0500
Would this be a slick as opposed to a street tire? If so, I'e be very leery
of it for any use that requires side force.

A drag racing tire is often run on less than 10 pounds of pressure. The
"wrinkle-wall" construction is meant to take the force of the launch while
maintaining contact with the pavement (at launch they don't want to break
them loose, that's just for the tire-heating burnout). They also are
designed to "grow" at high rpm (watch a fueler's rear tires change shape at
launch), although those for a fendered car may not grow as much as those
used on open-wheel cars. What they are NOT designed to do is corner. Nor are
they designed to be on the front of a car and take steering-wheel input at
speed.

I'd rather drag race on a roadrace tire than the other way around.

--Rocky